[Trombone-l] [c-m] "Gold Mine" of OLD Music

Raymond Horton horton.raymond at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 14:18:23 CDT 2023

*Fillmore was a notorious racist. * *There was a long chain of discussions
about these pieces on trombone-l at trombonelist.org
<trombone-l at trombonelist.org> several years back.  Some members felt they
could be played with some context included, some wanted them banned
outright.  *

Henry Filmore's "Trombone Family":

   - "Miss Trombone (A Slippery Rag)" (1908)
   - "Teddy Trombone (A Brother to Miss Trombone)" (1911)
   - "Lassus Trombone (The Cullud Valet to Miss Trombone)" (1915)

*This one became the biggest "hit," despite the fact that it is usually
played much faster than originally indicated, something like "A Slow Rag,"
IIRC.  "Lassus" is short for molasses, as in "as slow as molasses in
January."   *

   - "Pahson Trombone (Lassus Trombone's 'Ole Man')" (1916)
   - "Sally Trombone (Pahson Trombone's Eldest Gal Some Crow)" (1917) *If
   it could be divorced from it's very racist origin, musically one of the
   best.*
   - "Slim Trombone (Sally Trombone's Cousin- the Jazzin' One Step Kid)"
   (1918) *Ditto*
   - "Mose Trombone (He's Slim Trombone's Buddy)" (1919)
   - "Shoutin' Liza Trombone (Mose Trombone's Ah-finity)" (1920) (Also
   known as "Hallelujah Trombone" for the quote from Handel's "Messiah"
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messiah_Part_II#44>) *The second most
   popular.*
   - "Hot Trombone (He's Jes a Fren' ob Shoutin' Liza Trombone)" (1921)
   - "Bones Trombone (He's Jes as Warm as Hot Trombone)" (1922)
   - "Dusty Trombone" (1923)
   - "Bull Trombone (A Cullud Toreador)" (1924)
   - "Lucky Trombone" (1926)
   - "Boss Trombone" (1929)
   - "Ham Trombone" (1929)

Raymond Horton
Composer, Arranger
Minister of Music, Edwardsville (IN) United Methodist Church
Retired Bass Trombonist, Louisville Orchestra, 1971-2016
Visit us at rayhortonmusic.com