[Trombone-l] Any info about Gary Carney?

Moran, Doug dlmoran at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 05:41:55 CDT 2022

Hi Craig,

There are trombone players in Columbus (Ohio) that know more than I about Gary.  I played some gigs with him in the 1980’s and 1990’s before he move to Arizona.  I have at least two of his albums buried in the basement.

There was a short article in local newspaper when he passed:
<https://www.dispatch.com/story/entertainment/2009/02/11/trombonists-well-known-in-jazz/23797544007/>

Gary taught at Ohio State University as an adjunct professor, jazz trombone, in the 1980’s.  I saw him perform with the Jazz Arts Group (now Columbus Jazz Orchestra) a few times.  Great soloist and wonderful arranger.  His arrangement of “Thou Swell” is a favorite around this area - he wrote it in high school I understand.

Doug
dlmoran at gmail.com