[Trombone-l] Butler carbon fiber bells

Craig Parmerlee craig at parmerlee.com
Sun Feb 7 15:01:41 CST 2021

Carbon fiber definitely will not dent. It might splinter if you hit it
hard enough, but it is certainly more durable than brass.  If you drive
your car over the horn, you will crush it, but I can't imagine breaking
the carbon fiber pieces just banging them against a chair.  With the
Butler horns (and the DeCarbo as well) there are still lots of metal
pieces, and you can damage them as usual.  I suppose any of the joints
could potentially be broken loose.  You might be able to repair that
with glue.

If you want to continue playing and the weight is a factor, definitely
do this.  The weight changes everything.  In my case, I replaced only
the bell.  If you are doing this to prolong your playing days, I'd go
for the complete horn to get the maximum weight reduction.  I don't
think you will be sorry.