[Trombone-l] Butler carbon fiber bells

Michael Sanders michaelsanders6 at q.com
Sun Feb 7 14:30:18 CST 2021

I'm only a non professional player in a community band in Utah and I am getting to the age where I don't know how much longer I can keep it up. I have been following the comments about carbon fiber bells and slides.  A question has arisen in my mind.  These things are very expensive and I imagine that carbon fiber is rather brittle.  What happens if you bang the slide or the bell against a stand or other hard object?  Does it make a dent as in brass or does it crack and splinter?  Can it be repaired or does the unfortunate owner have to replace it at great expense?  Just wondering.

----- Original Message -----From: "trombone-l" <trombone-l at trombonelist.org>