[Trombone-l] Improv with a disability (of sorts)

Ervin, Thomas R - (ervint) ervint at email.arizona.edu
Fri Aug 16 14:20:12 CDT 2019

Jon,
I wonder if your student can echo short easy things you play. Or can he play parts/passages of tunes?  3-4 notes? Can he sing a little? Does he know ANY piano? Does he listen to plenty of jazz; does he have any favorites? Does he have any routines memorized? Can he replay a short passage he has just read? Can he repeat things you play on One Note, and get the rhythms right?  sometimes?

No I haven’t taught such a student, but those questions imply where I might start.  Best to you both.  Tom Ervin

>   1. Helping students with learning issues improvise (Jon Studer)

> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2019 21:18:10 +0000
> From: Jon Studer <studer_je at hotmail.com>
>
> Anyone have suggestions for helping students that have dyslexia and or ADHD?
> For instance, student has great tone, intonation, timing, etc, and can sight read and play music put in front of him, but wants to learn to improvise in Jazz.
> However, due to learning disability issues, he can?t seem to commit scales/keys to memory. Hence, there is a mental disconnect between scales, keys, and improvising.
> Repetition doesn?t seem to be working.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Jon

Tom Ervin
ervint at email.arizona.edu
Prof of trombone, Univ Arizona (Emeritus)
...now a recovering trombone player... ; >)
(520) 743-5062
website:    tom-ervin.com