[Trombone-l] Improv with a disability (of sorts)

Craig Parmerlee craig at parmerlee.com
Fri Aug 16 22:22:39 CDT 2019

I think Tom has good suggestions.  I would point out that ADHD is an
entirely different thing from dyslexia.  I am mildly dyslexic.  That
impacts my ability to read books, but I never really thought much about
its impact on music. Now that I consider, it is true that I have often
had problems seeing notes in their correct sequence, particularly when
notes are chromatically close.  While dyslexia could definitely make it
difficult to read scales, I wouldn't think it impairs hearing scales, so
I would concentrate on singing and playing patterns that are heard
rather than written on paper.  That's not a bad approach, imho, even
without dyslexia.

I try to think of improvisation as a matter of recalling pitches more
than inserting scales in the right place.  Years ago there was a TV game
show called "Concentration" where players picked two boxes from a 5x5
grid of cells.  The grid concealed 12 distinct objects -- two copies of
each.  The objective was to  identify the matched pairs.  At the
beginning of the game it was random.  As the game proceeded, players
would have seen many of the cells, so it was a matter of memory where
the mates were.

That is how I approach improvisation. If I know what pitch I want to
play, I just have to remember where that pitch is on the horn.  It
doesn't matter what name we give it.  Most people can easily do this
with their voice.  The goal, IMHO, is to become just as good at "playing
what you hear" as people are able to do with their voices.  I have no
scientific background in dyslexia, but I don't think dyslexia should be
an inhibitor to this process.

ADHD, that's a whole other thing.  Kids that are severely ADHD affected
will have a lot of trouble maintaining the concentration necessary to
become accomplished at music.  I have heard of cases where the study of
music can actually improve the attention but I am not a person who has
any skills teaching an ADHD student.