[Trombone-l] Mahler 1

Walter Barrett walttrombone at me.com
Mon May 14 09:18:50 CDT 2018

Honestly, the last time I played it, we left the 4th part out. With a slightly underpowered string section, the three of us had more than enough gas at the end, and the part is doubled in the other trombones and horns. 🤫🤚

If I were to do it with four, I would sit as you described, 4,1,2,3. Yes, you are a bit farther away from the trumpet, but I’d rather have the second and third trombones be able to hear me as usual. I might also have the 4th player double my part on unisons, or play them in my place, at least in the beginning of the last movement, so that he’d be better prepared to play with at least a little warm up.

Walter Barrett
📲⚡️ walterbarrett.com
Yamaha Performing Artist