[Trombone-l] Mahler 1

Marius Helgå mh at janitsjar.net
Mon May 14 08:58:22 CDT 2018

Hi, all

I was wondering what is the «normal» way of organising the four trombonists in Mahler 1?
Is the one playing the 4th part usually waiting through the entire symphony to just play the ending, or will he/she usually double some bits of some of the other parts?
In what order are the players usually seated? 4-1-2-3 doesn’t seem too stupid for me, but I realise that makes you lose the close connection between trumpet 1 and trombone 1.

I understand there probably are no exact answer here, but would love to hear how this is usually solved, especially with amateur orchestras.

Marius Helgå
Bass Trombone
Oslo/Mo i Rana, Norway