[Trombone-l] Standard bone quartet repertoire?

George Carr georgecarr at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 13:19:37 CDT 2022

I wouldn't put too much trust in that Clarinet archive list. Some of those
quartets are certainly core repertoire, but some are minor works that the
compiler just threw in to increase the inventory list.

Here's a list of 25 trombone quartets I'd personally nominate for the
'standard' repertoire:
Bach: Fugue in G minor (transcr. R Sauer)
Mozart: Die Holle Rach (from Die Zauberflote) (1791) (transcr. V Kagarice)
Haydn: Achieved is the Glorious Work, from The Creation (1798) (transcr. D
Miller)
Beethoven: Drei Equali (1812) (transcr. R King)
Schubert: Andante con moto from string quartet #4 (1813) (transcr. E Miller)
Tchaikovsky: Andante Cantabile, from Op. 11 (1871) (transcr. E Williams)
Saint-Saëns: Adagio from Symphony #3 (1886) (transcr. K Murley)
Verdi: Ave Maria from Otello (1887) (transcr. S Hartman)
Grieg: Elegy, Op. 47/7 (1888) (transcr. E Miller)
Bruckner: Three Motets (1892) (transcr. R Sauer)
Webern: Langsamer Satz (1905) (transcr. M Hetzler)
Hindemith: Morgenmusik (1932)
Poulenc: Four Little Prayers of St. Francis of Assisi (1948) (transcr. C
Henning)
Serocki: Suita na 4 puzony (1953)
Hornoff: Suite fur vier posaunen (1953)
Bassett: Quartet for Trombones (1954)
McCarty: Recitative and Fugue (1960)
Charpentier: Quatuor de Forme Liturgique (1960)
Dubois: Quatuor (1962)
Bozza: Trois Pieces (1964)
Nelhybel: 6 Pieces for Trombones (1966)
Premru: In Memoriam (1967)
Frackenpohl: Trombone Quartet (1968)
Orr: Five Sketches for Four Trombones (1970)
Pederson: Spanish Waterwheel (1971)

If you're having trouble tracking down any of the above sheet music from
your preferred source, email me directly as I may be able to help. And of
course, I'd love to hear about more recent works that people would add to
this list...

George
Cleveland, Ohio