[Trombone-l] Richard Antoine White - How the Tuba Got Him Off the Streets of Baltimor...

James L Scott jscot at ucalgary.ca
Tue Oct 19 10:40:52 CDT 2021

I was lucky enough to meet and play with Richard some years ago. I was a participant at an Alessi Seminar in Albuqueque, NM about 15 (?) years ago. The participants were split up into orchestral sections to play excerpts for Joe in a Masterclass, and Richard was hired as the tuba player to join all of those sections.

He was/is a great player, and terrific to work with. Such a nice guy, and he really had a lot on his plate, having to work up all of those different excerpts, since he was playing with 4 different groups. Each was working on different repertoire.

I heard a bit about his story back then, but I'm glad that he has written it down for the world to know. I hope his book is a best seller!

Jim Scott