[Trombone-l] Ray is on a podcast!

Raymond Horton horton.raymond at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 04:10:26 CDT 2021

AVAILABLE NOW!
I am a third time “returning champion” House Band on the podcast “Nobody Listens to Paula Poundstone”!  (All on euphonium, this time)

The subject of the the latest episode (#168) is “Think Tanks”. I have to admit that was a bit of a challenge to find music to play to fit that subject! So I chose a few songs with “think” in the title (“I Think We're Alone Now”, "Don't Stop Thinking About Tomorrow" and the theme to “Jeopardy” which is titled “Think"). Also, after researching the topic a bit and finding that a number of Think Tanks are devoted to politics, world peace, etc., I picked a few tunes that have to do with those subjects: including  “Happy Days Are Here Again” and “Let There be Peace on Earth”. And for the two times in which members of the cast sum up what has been discussed: Elgar’s “Pomp and Circumstance #1” (heard at graduations),  and “I  Can See Clearly Now”.

Not everything I sent was used, which is normal. I am not sure why 1/2 of the tune I recorded to bracket the “cat of the week” (“What’s new pussycat?”) was used later in the broadcast when it doesn’t make any sense, but I know these things are probably done quickly.

Here is a link, although I had some difficulty getting it to play, for some reason:
<https://open.spotify.com/episode/1fgp9uQMBT6zfvWXqAvg7q>

Making these recordings has been great fun for me, and given me a performing outlet during the pandemic (in addition to church). My two previous appearances (#101, 127) are still available online. (Note: for those straight-laced, these broadcasts at times include some course language and some liberal politics, so consider yourself warned!)

Raymond Horton
Composer/Arranger
Minister of Music,
Edwardsville (IN) United Methodist Church
Retired Bass Trombonist,
Louisville Orchestra, 1970-2016