[Trombone-l] Butler carbon fiber bells

Craig Parmerlee craig at parmerlee.com
Thu Feb 4 20:35:10 CST 2021

I have been interested in adding a carbon fiber bell to my Edwards bass
setup for a long time.  While I have not had any lasting shoulder or
other joint problems, but I have known several bass trombone players who
gave up playing early because of the ergonomics of the instrument.  One
way to deal with this is through braces and other gadgets that make the
instrument easier to hold.  I have used those for a long time.  Another
way to address the problem is lighten the weight on the instrument, and
carbon fiber is an option.

I made some inquiries 5-10 years ago and nobody was in a position to
supply carbon components other than slides.  That has all changed
recently, with Butler and some others leading in the expanded use of
carbon fiber.  Butler is now making a complete carbon bass trombone (it
still has a lot of metal in it, but is much lighter than traditional
trombones.)  In my case, I wanted to keep my Edwards horn intact and
change only the bell.  Butler is now able to do this, at least with
Edwards trombones, and probably others.  They famously updated one of
Doug Yeo's Yamaha trombones.

So I received my new Edwards-style carbon fiber bell last week. I'd
rather not do a detailed report on an open Internet forum.  I can say it
is well made.  It is about 1/3 the weight of the bell it replaced.  I
don't notice the weight reduction as much as I feel the better balance.
I never really thought of the original Edwards as particularly
nose-heavy, but with the carbon bell, it seems to float on its own.
Timbre is good, intonation is fine.  I notice no reduction in sound
volume.  There are a few other differences, but I don't think they are
any greater than the difference between a heavy or light bell or yellow
versus red brass.  If anybody has a serious interest, I'd be happy to
provide additional information and sound samples off list.