[Trombone-l] Fair market value for small bore Shires

Craig Parmerlee craig at parmerlee.com
Sat Jan 25 07:59:50 CST 2020

I need to provide an appraisal of fair market value for a Shires
trombone.  There are lots of comparables for the 547  horns with valves,
but I haven't found much for the small bore horns.

The slide is a dual bore 485/495, lightweight in yellow brass with the
normal nickel silver end crook.  I'm concerned that such a small bore
instrument might be a very narrow market.  The condition is very good.
It is 12 years old and not played very much.  There are virtually no
dents -- just one very light mute ding in the bell.  The only real
cosmetic issues are numerous spots where the lacquer has come off.  That
is completely inconsistent with the amount this horn has been played.
The lacquer is gone in the normal hand grip areas.  Moreover, there are
big patches on the slide where lacquer is also gone.  It looks like a
poor job of de-greasing to me.  The slide was about a 7 or 8 when I got
it.  There is a lot of tarnish inside the outer slide.  I have been
cleaning that up and I expect it will end up very near a 10.  I don't
think there are any alignment or dent issues with the slide.

It plays well.  With the right mouthpiece it plays bigger than I would
have expected for such a small bore.  The owner switched out the yellow
brass tuning slide in favor of a red brass tuning slide in order to make
it less harsh.  Intonation, sound core, slotting are all good.  I doubt
this would hold up well as a lead horn because it still gets harsh at
loud volumes.  As a solo instrument (especially playing with a
microphone), it should be superb.

This predates the Eastman era, so this would have been made in the
Shires plant under Steve Shires' supervision.

Original cost was around $3000.  I'm guessing a safe estimate is $1500
-- that is, if it were to go on eBay, they would probably net $1500
after eBay fees and shipping.  But maybe it would be higher.  I want to
give them realistic expectations because the organization will be
budgeting, assuming revenue from selling this horn.

Any thoughts or opinions are welcome.

Thanks,
Craig Parmerlee
Indianapolis