[Trombone-l] Overdubbing for beginners!

Peter Hanmore phanmore at cogeco.ca
Sun Apr 26 11:04:59 CDT 2020

Cakewalk is also free and is a step up from Audacity but sometimes simple is just what you need and Audacity fits that bill perfectly. Peter
-------- Original message --------From: celebratingchrist via Trombone-l <trombone-l at trombonelist.org> Date: 2020-04-26  11:39 a.m.  (GMT-05:00) To: craig at parmerlee.com, Jim Nova <jim at jimnova.com>, Trombone List <trombone-l at trombonelist.org> Subject: Re: [Trombone-l] Overdubbing for beginners! It nay be overkill, but the mac daddy seems to be Ableton, and they have a 90 day free trial going.Sent from mobile.-------- Original message --------From: Craig Parmerlee via Trombone-l <trombone-l at trombonelist.org> Date: 4/26/20  11:23  (GMT-05:00) To: Jim Nova <jim at jimnova.com>, Trombone List <trombone-l at trombonelist.org> Subject: Re: [Trombone-l] Overdubbing for beginners! This is a great introduction.  Thanks for taking the time to put that together, Jim.  I also started by using Audacity, and I still keep it installed on my studio computer because there are occasionally some things I want to do that are super quick and easy with Audacity.  The nice thing about starting with Audacity is that is straightforward and uncomplicated (relatively speaking) and generally does exactly what you would expect it to do.If there are people who are looking at this sheltering period as a time to take next steps, then they may want to explore the DAW (digital audio workstation) world. Audacity is what I would call a static audio editor.  Everything is done in discrete steps.  If you want to apply equalization, you select the range, process the EQ, then listen.  If it isn't what you wanted, you undo and try it a different way,  That makes it very comprehensible because you are never doing more than one thing at a time.With DAWs, everything is interactive. For that equalization example, you would select the range, loop it, *and while listening*, apply EQ adjustments in real time until you get it sounding the way you want.  The original file is unchanged, but the DAW knows to apply the EQ any time that track is played.  With DAWs you can automate all these changes (EQ, compression, reverb, chorusing, distortion ... anything you need) so that the effects can change during the course of the song.  And you can also automate the volume faders (to bring up a solo), pan controls, anything.  Also with DAWs, you can freely mix recorded tracks with tracks created through MIDI performance.It is a completely different experience, and probably a whole lot more learning curve than most people want to undertake.  I just mention it as an option because people may have a little extra time available right now to take on a learning curve.For Windows users, the Cakewalk (previously called SONAR) DAW is now provided 100% free from Bandlab and it is a very, very advanced DAW.  For $60 you can get Reaper, which works on Windows, Mac and Linux.  It is also a very advanced product.  If anybody is very serious about going in this direction, feel free to send me an email.  There are loads of other options out there with varying levels of features, price and system requirements.  Truly an embarrassment of riches in this space today.On 4/21/2020 12:45 PM, Jim Nova via Trombone-l wrote:> Overdubbing for beginners!>> This is a step by step instructional video on how I do my overdubs! I use Audacity in this demo which is free software on either a Mac or PC. I hope this helps people get started!!>> https://youtu.be/xr3m3YyhHYM <https://youtu.be/xr3m3YyhHYM>>> James Nova> Trombone - Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra> Brass Area Coordinator and Adjunct Trombone Faculty - Duquesne University> Brass Coach - Three Rivers Young Peoples Orchestras> jimnova.com>>>>> _______________________________________________> Trombone-l mailing list> Trombone-l at trombonelist.org> http://trombonelist.org/mailman/listinfo/trombone-l_trombonelist.org-- This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.https://www.avast.com/antivirus_______________________________________________Trombone-l mailing listTrombone-l at trombonelist.orghttp://trombonelist.org/mailman/listinfo/trombone-l_trombonelist.org_______________________________________________Trombone-l mailing listTrombone-l at trombonelist.orghttp://trombonelist.org/mailman/listinfo/trombone-l_trombonelist.org