[Trombone-l] Water Key Solutions

Linda Landis drbach6 at aol.com
Thu Dec 26 10:40:45 CST 2019

There was a student at the middle school where I was teaching who had a cough. I asked him if he’d seen a doctor about it and he said yes. I also asked if he kept his horn clean. Also yes. Then I was watching the band in the band room one day and he put a rag on the floor to catch his spit per the band director’s request of all brass players, then I saw him pick it up and clean his mouthpiece with it and throw it back down on the floor. Eew. I walked up to him after rehearsal and made a suggestion...I said why not carry two rags. One goes on the floor, the other you use to clean your mouthpiece. Put the one on the floor in a Ziploc bag he before you put it back in your case. Cough went away.

Linda Landis, Lead Trombone Columbus Jazz Orchestra, Columbus Symphony, Private Teacher