[Trombone-l] Water Key Solutions

Gil Estes gil.estes at gmail.com
Thu Dec 26 08:38:13 CST 2019

Okay, for those who have a home studio (i.e. room in your home dedicated to practicing and doing all things “trombone”) as well as college teachers w/ a dedicated room for doing trombone stuff…this question is for you.

As I clean my horns after having the flu, I also notice my trash can which has a towel in the bottom which is used specifically for residual liquids that come from my slide after a practice/warm-up session (i.e. “spit bucket”).

My question: Where do you empty your “water key” and how do you keep it sanitary:

1. Towel on the floor
2. Towel/rag in a bucket
3. Actual old-school “spittoon”
4. Plant growing in a pot
5. On the carpet…b/c it will dry eventually
6. On the hard surface floor…b/c I like watching people slip when they enter
7. My spit valve leaks enough that I don’t need to empty it (don’t be “that” guy)
8. I never empty it…b/c I like the popping sound (get out…you aren’t welcome here)

Seriously though…for good hygiene, what have you found that works well…

Gil