[Trombone-l] Improv with a disability (of sorts)

Steve Cordingley steve.cordingley at gmail.com
Sat Aug 17 03:34:27 CDT 2019

I'm a psychotherapist. ADHD has, as part of the challenge, difficulty
focusing long enough to do anything requiring sustained effirt, and memory
(my hinch is that this is caused by poor sleep). However, once absorbed in
something, the individual can be difficult to communicate with, because
they are now so completely absorbed, that they can't stay in touch with
their surroundings. That all sounds pretty final, yet many very successful
people have this condition - often undiagnosed.

So, when I'm working with such individuals in therapy, I encourage them to
understand their nature enough to be able to maximise what they do better
than anyone else befire trying to mitigate the downside of their condition.

My experience is that a key to their understanding is that the distance
between the thought/idea and the reward for it must be short. Have the idea
and do it. That's what neuro-typical folk would see as being impulsive. The
individual might struggle with impatience for the same reason. That makes
working with others a challenge, especially if they have to await their
turn.

In practice, exercises will be best if short, and learning a quick riff
easier than the modal system, for example. Pentatonic scales might be
okay,  triplets even more so.

Having said all of that, one of my boys is on the cusp of ADHD, yet his
progress on keyboards has been faster than his brother on guitar. We
acknowledge that he may finish up on drums :-D

And all the more meditative work (e.g. long tones), on his horn will help
him focus in his lesson.

If amenable to supplement ideas, magnesium (citrate seems to work better
than oxide), seems to help with GABA (think grounding and focus), vitamin D
status should be checked (plays a role in concentration) and we've had good
results with saffron extract with our son, as it seems to support cignitive
processing. Evidence for these and other supplements can be found on
examine.com

Hope that helps.

Steve