[Trombone-l] Creston Fantasy

George Butler georgebutler3rd at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 08:01:44 CST 2018

Hi, Kristine!

I'm guessing, that choosing to *write* about the Creston Fantasy is
probably a smarter decision than choosing to perform it.  :-)  So, you two
don't be too hard on yourselves, okay?  :-)

Plus, if you and your friend are not finding anything written about it,
there's an *opportunity* here for you to contribute.  :-)

I once owned an LP recording of Jay Friedman and the Chicago Symphony doing
it, but--and *THIS* is stupid--I stupidly left it behind with my other 300
LPs when I moved from south Texas to northeastern Europe in 2006.  I am
still kicking myself about that.  This recording was sold as a fundraiser
for the CSO by the CSO.  I cannot remember if there was anything to the
liner notes.  Maybe my buddy Howard Weiner, a Chicago boy now living in
Freiburg, southwest Germany, still has his.

My classmate Abbie Conant used it as her entrance exam at Juilliard in
1977, and later played it on one of her recitals.  Maybe she knows a little
more than the rest of us?

When I get home tonight--another eight hours here in the Helsinki time
zone--I can take a look at my first edition of Vern Kagarice's bibliography
of solo trombone with orchestra or band accompaniment.  It's old, but not
as old as the Creston.

Oh, another thought:  I'd guess that Clinton F. Niewig, Librarian Emeritus
of the Philadelphia Orchestra and dean of orchestra librarians everywhere,
might have something.  His book on bass trombone solo works with orchestral
accompaniment appeared recently.  At one time, he was quite active in this
Trombone-L community, freely answering our queries.
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10588167.2018.1484681?journalCode=wmus20

--George Butler, Lasnamäe Muusikakool, Tallinn, Estonia