[Trombone-l] Bill Watrous

Chris Waage chris.waage at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 07:49:21 CDT 2018

In 1981, one of my high school band directors (Danny Hall) gave me a copy
of a compilation album called "Bill Watrous" with recordings of songs from
his two big band albums with the Manhattan Wildlife Refuge.

In 1982, Bill was playing at Crown Center in Kansas City, and I had the
opportunity to meet him. He treated a dumb 18-year old as a peer and shared
stories for several hours after the concert. Even though I'm a dyed in the
wool bass trombonist, he's always been one of my influences.

Today, his son Jason posted that Bill is close to passing. Please keep his
family in your thoughts and prayers today.

--
*Chris Waage, DMA*
Music Director, Lexington Wind Symphony, Lexington, Missouri