[Trombone-l] I'm teaching a beginner...

Earl Needham earl.kd5xb at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 22:29:10 CST 2018

and that beginner is ME!

Out of desperation (and hunger), in 2002 I dropped my "life" and started
driving a truck.  I dropped everything.  Including trombone.

Now I have time for trombone, but about six months ago, I got out the Duo
Gravis and promptly discovered I can no longer play!  Nothing sounded
right, and pedal tones wouldn't sound at all.  After a few tries, I put it
all away and just kind of thought that part of my life was over.  I was no
longer that "very fine Bass Trombone player" I used to be.

I just happen to have a late '30's 2B Liberty here, and a few days ago I
got it out and gave it a blow.  It wasn't so bad!  I played a few scales
for a couple of days.  It's weird knowing where I want the note but not
always getting it there.  And I still know all those scales that
trombonists should never be asked to play, like E Major and even B minor,
but somehow my right arm doesn't always go where it should.

Yesterday, I scored a new Rochut Book #1 (ed. Alan Raph) and I have gone to
town.  I have quickly discovered I have no endurance, LOL!  But I have also
discovered just how nice this 2B sounds WHEN I DO MY PART.

I don't know just where I'm going with this email, except to tell everybody
that I have just begun a unique experience, that of being the instructor
and student at the same time.

Double the pleasure, double the fun...
Earl
Clovis, New Mexico USA