[Trombone-l] Bass trumpet

John Cather john at cathermusic.com
Thu Sep 21 00:13:14 CDT 2017

You guys that play bass trumpet. I got called to do Glazounow Fantasie and borrowed a Bb rotary Bass trumpet made by Ganter. I recognize the brand as one that is used by orchestral trumpeters. This one has serious intonation problems.

Most bass trumpets I’ve heard are like a bright trombone sound. This one has a larger throated bell and has a mellower sound. I even plugged on a Bach 15EW mpc. Is this appropriate for this piece of music? The score shows the bass trumpet as playing with both trumpets and trombones at times and independently at other times. I’m wondering if I should try to locate another brighter sounding instrument, or am I just over analyzing it and I should just shut up and play?

Thanks,
John Cather