[Trombone-l] Plastic Trombone Question (again)

Gil Estes gil.estes at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 11:28:51 CDT 2017

I’d like to start by saying I see the P-Bone, Tiger plastic trombone and the like as “fun to have” novelty instruments, that in the hands (or chops) of a good player, can do a very effective job. In fact, I sat in w/ an eclectic brass band yesterday and used my P-Bone (which is painted to match my favorite college sports team - for those in the South, you know it’s that time of year). Had a great time.

My question is not about the merits (or de-merits) of plastic trombones as that horse has been “beat to death” multiple times.

My question: I’ve seen a trigger .547 trombone out (I believe it’s a Tiger Trombone) and wondering what the group wisdom is as to the effectiveness in the trigger range (Low F to Low C) and what brand(s) have you tried, thoughts one each, where to buy, etc…

I ask because here in Atlanta, we do a Yule Slide holiday trombone event each year, and this year, I’d like to add a “P-Bone Edition” as a second event. The big problem is, the 4th book requires a trigger (unless you’re REALLY good at “fake tones” … which I’d rather not deal with ;)

Okay, the forum is open…discuss … but please stay on topic (grin) … else I’ll ask about slide lubricant (LOL).

Thanks,

Gil Estes
Atlanta Trombone Ensemble