[Trombone-l] Favorite quartets

Raymond Horton horton.raymond at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 19:25:11 CDT 2017

Please allow me to blow my own horn:

Episodes - for Trombone Quartet

Two movements: “I - Annunciation” - Bright!

“II - “Reflection; Confrontation” - A quiet beginning to a stormy ending in
three intense minutes.

All four parts are interesting; Trombone 1 is a blow! Challenging!

Recorded by the Elysian Trombone Consort - soon to be released

-------
Check rayhortonmusic.com for more Trombone Quartets
PUBLISHED by Cimarron Music Press at cimarronmusic.com:

Trombone Quartets:

J. Bennet: “Two Madrigals” One slow, one fast.   Slow one is easy and
beautiful.

William Byrd / Horton: "The Carman's Whistle"   Same as the trio, but less
difficult, fuller-sounding.

William Byrd / Horton: "Look Down, 0 Lord"   Playable by high school
students, great for church.

Di Lasso / Horton: "Carmina Chromatico”   Incredible study in modulation -
slow and dramatic!

Traditional French / Horton: "Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silent"   Beautiful
tune, beautiful treatment.

Trombone profs from a national workshop audience called Cimarron for this
before it was available - really!

Recorded by the Elysian Trombone Consort on a soon to be released solo CD by
Timothy Anderson

-------

Euphonium/Tuba Quartet, Trombone Quartet, or Three Trombones and Tuba:

William Byrd / Horton: “Five Pieces from The Battel” (published by Cimarron
as a Trombone Quartet only)

Byrd at his finest. Euphs and tubas can use suggested embellishments to make
this a tour de force.

RAYMOND HORTON was Bass Trombonist of the Louisville Orchestra from 1971 to
2016.

His latest composition award: "Special Judge's Citation Recognizing Unique
Artistic Achievement"
from The 2012 American Prize in Composition: Orchestra Division
(Professional).

Raymond Horton
Composer, Arranger
Minister of Music, Edwardsville (IN) United Methodist Church
Retired Bass Trombonist, Louisville Orchestra, 1971-2016