[Trombone-l] Slide-O-Mix Trombone Cleaning System

Doug Moran dlmoran at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 10:03:32 CDT 2017

I just looked it up, and I posted to this trombone list in April 1994 about this product, having bought it at the June 1993 ITA.  So I guess I have been using it for almost 24 years.  :-)

I have an idea an extra blue and an extra red cotton sleeve, but otherwise have the original set I bought in 1994 (for $16!!).  They still work great.  But I have to report that my flexible brush (screws on to the end of the cleaning rod) broke last week.  The plastic coated cable had a break in it, and the cable broke.  Unfortunately, it broke while cleaning one of my hand slides, and three inches of it, with the brush head, was stranded in the bottom bow.  That took a while but I got it out.  I should also state that I have used the flexible brush to clean Thayer valve tubing, euphonium piston holes, etc. so I have gotten great service out of it.  I see Hickey's sells replacements - item number 038883.  I will be buying another.

I must state that I have gone away from using the cotton sleeves for anything more than a final swab.  I have cleaning rods with two different size brushes on them that I use for the initial cleaning pass.  These are small bore and large bore specific.

I hope this helps!  I would buy it again.

Thanks - Doug
dlmoran at gmail.com
Sent from my iPad