[Trombone-l] Skip Jones RE: Where are the undergraduate trombone majors?

Skip Jones skip at challjones.com
Thu Feb 16 23:45:55 CST 2017

Hi Dennis,

I can't respond to this directly but I will make a comment or two from my
perspective.

I am an independent music teacher and I have an equal number of trombone and
guitar students - many of whom are college students in non-music majors.

I often ask my more serious and accomplished students why they decided not
to major in music. I almost always get one or more of these responses: lack
of earning potential, lack of a stable lifestyle, limited living locations,
and questionable long term personal stability and security.

Being a doctoral dissertation adviser and dissertation committee chair I
think this would make an interesting research project conducted over a large
enough population.

Best regards,

Skip

Dr. C. H. "Skip" Jones