[Trombone-l] Your first trombone?

Patrick Bates patrickwbates at yahoo.ca
Wed Aug 23 04:45:39 CDT 2017

 First horn (in high school) was a conn director, vague memories of not a terrible horn. Moved up to a conn 50H, also a school horn. Near the end of high school bought my first horn , a Bach 42 I still have. Absolutely amazed at the difference, made me do a lot of practicing for a few years. Fabulous horn. Still have it about 40 years later... bought another dozen or so in the last 15 years when I started playing again, from a Duo gravis to a Jupiter soprano. King 3B is my go to horn now, but still play the 42 when I need a valve.

 > Curious to hear how
 many of us on the list started on a really lousy instrument,
 silver, with a green slide and a pitted mouthpiece, etc.

 >> Tom Ervin
 >> ervint at u.arizona.edu
 >> Prof of trombone, Univ Arizona
 (Emeritus)