[Trombone-l] Bachelor thesis about bass trombone

Willard (Bill) Riley bill.riley at primus.ca
Sun Apr 2 13:58:41 CDT 2017

I used to build and service pipe organs for a living and then turned to
general administrative work as churches stopped buying them. Now, in the
third stage of my adult life, I spend most of my time playing brass
instruments and keyboards, orchestrating and arranging and conducting
and, sometimes, writing music - sometimes even for pay. In short, an
"amateur" - but a pretty good one.

I don't quite have the chops YET to play big-band lead trumpet but am
working on it and sometimes do it anyhow, otherwise playing second
(flugel included). Or cornet, for Dixieland. Or big band lead or bass
trombone. Or tuba in a marching band. Or euphonium in a concert band.
When my sister, in our youth, started learning F/Bb horm, I coached her
and made sure I could play it, too.

James Morrison, the Australian soloist and bandleader, has been an
inspiration to me but so are most school music teachers who teach brass
technique in general and can demonstrate on any of the instruments. I'm
beginning to teach beginners of various ages in private lessons, and
very much enjoy seeing them grow in their mastery of their respective
instruments thanks to the tips each of these instruments has taught me
through my experience in playing them.

There's no doubt my musical life is much more active because of
proficiency on more than one instrument. I've found the advantages far
greater than the cost of extra effort and having more instruments to
keep track of, and I don't see any reason this wouldn't also be the case
if I went more thoroughly professional (though I'm a bit long in the
tooth to attempt that now).

About changing instruments when doubling: I need not only to be
thoroughly warmed up on each of the instruments I'm going to play on any
particular occasion, but also to practice moving from one to the other.
Each has its own requirements for ranges of air velocity (involving both
aperture dimensions and breath pressure) and of the volume of air needed
to sustain phrases of various lengths and dynamics. A few long tones,
flexibility sequences, bits of articulation studies and a phrase or two
of a tune or excerpt often suffice to anchor in my system the parameters
for each instrument.

Some of the more challenging things to remember are the idiosyncratic
tuning adjustments each instrument requires for good intonation,
particularly for the modes based on the odd-numbered partials (third,
fifth, seventh and beyond). For instance, a well-tuned, 2nd-position  G
natural above the bass staff requires moving the slide of my Conn 78H
almost halfway towards 1st position, whereas the King 2B and my bass
trombone require much less adjustment. If I fail to remember that when
playing an exposed, long-held G as part of a C major triad, I'll have
egg on my face.

But I really love both the beauty and the challenges of brass playing,
and I'm very grateful for these thought-provoking questions. Have fun
with the thesis, Kristine!

Bill

Willard (Bill) Riley
Montreal QC Canada