[Trombone-l] Bachelor thesis about bass trombone

Martin Hubel mhubel at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 19:56:50 CDT 2017

I played mainly bass trombone from 1972 to 1990. Starting in the 90s, I got
moved to first bone simply because 2 bass players joined the band during my
leave of absence.

For many pros, doubling is necessary as many shows, and this allows the
player to get paid more. Doubling does get me and others more gigs.
Ironically, I am known in some circles as a tenor player, and others as a
bass player.

Another important aspect is to understand your role in the section based on
the horn and part you have. Bass bone is a different mindset and approach
from playing lead, and being a section player is different again.

I try to play my best on both tenor and bass, and I do not compromise on
equipment. I mainly play a medium bore .508parhaps tenor with an 11C size
mouthpiece (Yamaha 891Z with Yamaha Al Kay MP). My bass is a Yamaha 830
with a Griego .75. I can switch easily between the 2 horns. I also have my
trusty old 42B if I need a large bore tenor.

Learning how to play easily, and subsequently to switch easily between bass
and tenor has been a journey. But that's another topic, or perhaps several
topics.

--Martin

Martin Hubel